Monday, October 20, 2014

A Flurry of Sudden Blogging is Hopefully Coming Your Way

As many of you know, November is the month when I suddenly start updating my Facebook status excitedly with numbers starting around a thousand and going upward to the golden goal of 50,000. Or in the case of last year, sadly falling short and ending up with just 24,000.
If you don't know the significance of the numbers I will tell you. They're the number of words I've written so far for the fabulous writing event known as NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. This will be my sixth year participating and I've written some of the most hilariously bad or just terrible yawn-inducing fiction in the world. But it's fun, and practice makes perfect, as they say. Writing so many words does help me improve my writing, and when I was in college those 5-10 page term papers seemed pretty tame considering I was churning out 50,000 words of fiction every November.
Last year, however, there was a bit of surprise when I simply lost interest. It wasn't just that my novel was mind-numbingly boring, because that had happened before and I still managed to get 50,000 words out. Rather, I just lost interest in writing fiction, and have pretty much not written any since. But then last Spring I had an idea for my blog. I decided to paint awkward ducks. And I decided my real life is actually a lot more interesting than most of the stories I ever came up with.
So this year, I'm still doing Nanowrimo, but I'm part of the group called the Nano Rebels, because I'm not writing a novel, I'm working on my blog. Which means that, hopefully, in the month of November, there will be a whole bunch of new blog posts featuring the Awkward Duck. With the premise that a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm hoping to do about 25,000 words and 25 paintings, but it could end up being any combination of the two.
I'm super excited about this prospect because I'm hoping that when I excitedly post about having 5,000 words done, instead of rolling your eyes because I wasted my time posting a random number instead of something cute a student said, you will also be excited because there will soon be more awkward duck. And so far as I can tell, everyone loves the awkward duck.
I'll even give you a spoiler- the first post I'm currently planning to begin on November 1st is a great adventure with pizza. Or something like that anyway.

1 comment:

  1. This is a neat alternative to the normal novel! Rebel on!

    ReplyDelete